NAMIWalks Your Way Greater Houston: A Virtual Event
From coast-to-coast and around the globe, mental illness affects everyone. Every year, regardless of race, age, religion or economic status, mental illness impacts the lives of at least one in five adults and one in ten children across the United States—that is nearly 60 million Americans. Thousands of supporters of NAMIWalks are the face and voice of the NAMI movement—families, individuals, coworkers and businesses who come together to celebrate mental illness recovery, to honor those who have lost their lives to mental illness and to help raise funds, combat stigma and promote awareness.
Like most things right now, the virus has affected our annual NAMIWalks. What we are hearing from the community is that our collective mental health needs are greater during this time, and the work of NAMI Greater Houston and your “why” is as important now as ever, if not more. We are in this with you, together.
I am pleased to announce that the NAMIWalks event is going Virtual! It’s the same event, only with a greater reach: the reach of your imagination, the breadth of your compassion. We are getting creative to bring you a Walk of our times, when our programs, services, and advocacy are most crucial.
Virtual NAMIWalks means what it sounds like: virtually anything goes. You can walk around your block, you can walk around your garden, you can walk with a wok in your kitchen. You can self-fundraise while you self-quarantine. Best of all, you can 5K your way! We will be joining other NAMI affiliates around the country to come together on May 30th to support one another as a community.
To learn more about how to participate, create a team or become a sponsor, please call our Walk Manager Jessica McDaniel at (713) 970-4424.
NAMI Greater Houston has sponsorship opportunities available to meet every need! We’d love to have you as a part of our event. Please reach out to Jessica McDaniel – 713-970-4424 for more information?
NAMIWalks attract and engage a diverse audience across a variety of demographics including individuals and families affected by mental health conditions, friends, community groups, local businesses, medical professionals and more. All participants are encouraged to collect donations. All walkers raising $100 or more receive a commemorative NAMIWalks t-shirt. This year, we will be joined by 30+ other affiliates nationwide on May 30th for the largest mental health virtual event in the country!
What: NAMIWalks Your Way: A Virtual Event
Participate in the largest virtual mental health event in the country! Walk in your backyard, dance in the living room, hula-hoop in the driveway – express yourself YOUR WAY to bring awareness to the importance of mental health.
NAMIWalks’ public, active display of support for people affected by mental health conditions
is one important way we are changing how Americans view people with a mental illness. NAMIWalks brings together individuals and businesses to help raise funds, combat stigma and promote awareness. NAMIWalks is NAMI’s largest and most successful mental health awareness and fundraising event. In 2018, 88 NAMIWalks events raised over $11.5 million to support local programs and initiatives that improve the lives of persons affected by mental illness.
May 30th, at 11:00 am!
Online! Streaming details to be shared soon!
Mental health can’t wait! Our community needs NAMI programs, services, and advocacy now more than ever! We are in this with you!
Sign up to participate at www.namiwalks.org/greaterhouston. Registration is free!
In addition to the virtual event on May 30th, NAMI Greater Houston will host a celebration with participants, partners, and sponsors in the Summer/early Fall once the health authorities declares it is safe to do so. We will continue to provide you updates on the status of the NAMIWalks Greater Houston Virtual Event and our celebration as details unfold.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does a virtual event look like?
- On our end, we will be streaming all over the country online and through social media! There will be giveaways, group discussions, and activities. On your end, anything goes!
- How can I participate?
- Sign up as a team captain or “walker” at
Registration is free! Continue to fundraise to support NAMI Greater Houston programs and services, and bring awareness to the importance of mental health. We will send information to join streaming as we get closer to the event date!
- Sign up as a team captain or “walker” at
- How do I fundraise online?
- Did you know that you can connect your walk page to facebook fundraisers? Reach out to your local walk manager for instructions. You can also continue to reach out to friends, family, and coworkers through email and social media. There are all sorts of fun games you can do to get contributions. Most importantly, TELL YOUR STORY! Communicating WHY mental health matters to you is the greatest incentive for people to give.
- What if I am not financially able to contribute?
- The most important thing is that everyone understands that they are not alone, and that we are all a part of a community that supports and cares for one another! There is no fee to register. We would still love to have you involved as a walker, and participate in our Virtual Event to bring awareness to the importance of mental health.
- Are there still sponsorship opportunities?
- Yes! There are absolutely still sponsorship options. Please email email@example.com for more information, or for the modified sponsorship brochure.
2020 NAMI Walk Sponsors