We encourage parents and caregivers of children and adolescents diagnosed with mental health conditions to participate in our NAMI Basics course. This course is designed to help parents navigate the systems that support children and youth diagnosed with mental and behavioral health problems. The course is led by two (2) trained teachers who follow an evidence-based curriculum and who have lived-experience in communicating with healthcare professionals, school staff and extended family members while facing the symptoms related to various mental health diagnoses.
The NAMI Basics program, in our service area, is currently engaged in a research study conducted through the University of Texas at Austin. However, a study was conducted in collaboration with NAMI Mississippi and NAMI Tennessee between 2008 and 2010 and found that NAMI Basics produces “significant improvement” for families in communication and coping skills.
Specifically, the study found that:
- Parents and caregivers who participated in the study reported improvements in self-care and empowerment, based on information and about resources, parenting strategies, and self-advocacy.
- Participants “also experienced a reduction in inflammatory communications,” through control of anger, preemption of problems and being highly specific about expectations.
- Participants did not report changes in “affirmational communications” within the family. However, this may simply reflect the emphasis of the curriculum.
NAMI Greater Houston offers the course in English and Spanish and below is our current schedule. Please contact our office for more information about the Basics program and contact us to register if interested in attending a course.
ONLINE NAMI Basics Courses
Due to the pandemic, all of our classes are hosted through Zoom online. Once you register, your teacher will contact you with the link to join the class. Classes usually engage 10-15 parents with 2 certified teachers. You can join any class listed that fits your schedule. Register at 713-970-4435 or by completing the pre-registration form below.
NAMI Basics and NAMI Bases y Fundamentos
Meets weekly for 6 weeks
Class times: 6:30pm to 9:00pm on weeknights or 9:30am to 12:00pm on Saturdays
(please indicate below)
Classes will begin on a rolling schedule based on enrollment
Once 10 participants register, a new class will begin. A NAMI representative will contact you to confirm details. Please register by phone or by completing the “pre-registration” form, below.
Or you can take the class at your pace, on your desktop at home through
NAMI Basics OnDemand!
Videos on NAMI Basis OnDemand – https://www.nami.org/Videos/NAMI-Basics–OnDemand
Stay Tuned for In-Person NAMI Basics courses later this year
What to Expect at In-Person courses
NAMI Basics is the new signature education program for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents living with mental illnesses. The NAMI Basics course is taught by trained teachers who are the parent or other caregivers of individuals who show signs and symptoms of mental illness between the ages of 0-18.
The course consists of six classes, each lasting for 2 ½ hours.
- Classes may be offered weekly for six consecutive weeks or may be offered twice per week for three weeks to accommodate the hectic schedules of parents.
- All instruction materials are FREE to participants.
- Introduction to the stages of emotional reactions of the family to the mental illness; including crisis, shock, denial, grief and acceptance.
- Insights into understanding of the lived experience of the child living with the mental illness, including learning to separate the child you love from the illness that alters their behavior and abilities
- Current information about Attention Deficit Disorder, Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Conduct Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Anxiety Disorders, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Childhood Schizophrenia and Substance Abuse Disorders
- Current research related to the biology of mental illness and the evidence-based, most effective treatment strategies available, including medications used to treat mental illness in children and adolescents
- Specific workshops to learn problem-solving, listening and communication skills
- Examples of strategies that have been found helpful in handling challenging behaviors in children and adolescents
If you would like to attend NAMI Basics, please complete the form below, and a teacher will contact you.